Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Be a Righteous Example

Today I was blessed with the opportunity to attend devotional at the Marriott Center. At this devotional, the Prophet of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, President Thomas S. Monson, addressed those in attendance. When he entered the Marriott Center, a hush feel over the audience and everyone stood in awed reverence. This was my second time I blessed to see the prophet and just as the first time, it was a remarkable experience.

In his address he talked about how as students her at BYU, we can be righteous examples to everyone. He talked about how the light of Christ is given to everyman. It is whether we choose to use it or not that matters. If we are truly followers of Christ, then we need to be a light to the world. We need to be able to illuminate the light and love of Christ in the midst of a dark world. The light and love of Christ can change human nature and changed humans can in return change the world.

One of my favorite quotes of President Monson's from his devotional today says that "we are not human beings having a spiritual experience, but are actually spiritual beings having a human experience." We must not give up in the trials of this human experience, but we must have faith. For "faith and doubt can not exist at the same time in the same person."

As President Monson continued, he focused on the importance of reading the Book of Mormon and knowing for ourselves whether it was true or not. He challenged all of those in attendance to set aside time everyday to seek to know for ourselves whether the Book of Mormon was true or not, whether Joseph Smith was a true prophet of God, and whether this church was the only true church. Knowing the truth will change our hearts and our minds

As he concluded, President Monson recited a quote that he feels we should all live by. It says, "You are more than what you become. Remember who you are. Remember." As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I must always remember that I am a daughter of God. I must illuminate the light and love of Christ where ever I go. I must be a righteous example.

2 comments:

  1. I loved that he talked about The Lion King. I think it makes him seem a lot more approachable, yeah?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this devotional, and I love the quote about us being spirit beings having a human being experience.

    ReplyDelete