Sunday, October 9, 2011

Become a Witness of Christ

Today in sacrament meeting, we had 3 exceptional talks. The second one was given by a girl named Stephanie and I thought that it was very interesting. Her focus was on the gospel principle that out the mouth of two to three witnesses every word shall be established. She mention how important this teaching was and explained how it was stated multiple times throughout the scriptures, including in Deut. 17:16, Deut. 19:15, 2 Cor. 13:1, Matt. 18:16, D&C 6:28, D&C 128:3, and many more. This repetition of a gospel principle helps to emphasize the importance that the Lord establishes his work and purposes through multiple speakers. Stephanie then continued her talk by giving example of where this principle is applied within the church. She gave the example of general conference. The Lord does not call just his prophet to speak to us, but he asks his prophet, his first presidency, his twelve apostles, and his quorums of seventy. She then spoke of missionaries preaching as a pair, each testifying of the truthfulness of this gospel. The Book of Mormon and the Bible also work as companions, both testifying of Jesus Christ as the Savoir of the World. She mentioned the three witnesses of the book of Mormon and explained that because of their testimonies, many were convinced that Joseph Smith was a true prophet of God. Stephanie also explained how she thought that it was interesting that in sacrament meeting we never have just the bishop speak week after week like a pastor or a priest would in another church. Instead, we always have new speakers giving new insight and bearing their testimonies, or in other words, every week we have more and more witnesses testifying of Christ and of his gospel.

After giving more examples of this gospel principle, Stephanie challenged all of the students in my ward to become a true witness of Christ and to not be "ashamed of the gospel of Christ" (Romans 1:16). She then referenced Mosiah 18:9 by telling us to "stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places." I immediately thought of the common theme of New Media in general conference and in our Writing 150 class. Both in conference and in class, it has been instructed to not be afraid "to share the gospel," through the use of the internet, "and to explain in simple and clear terms the message of the Restoration" (Perspectives on New Media pg. 4). For it has been commanded that we must talk of Christ and rejoice in Christ. I personally know that I can do better at sharing the message of the gospel online. I know that if I do I can be an example to my non-member and member friend and become a true witness of Christ. Overall, I want to live like my favorite quote suggests:

"LIVE in such a way that those who know YOU, but don't know CHRIST, will want to know CHRIST because they know YOU" (unknown).

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to leave to Mexico and be a witness of Christ 24/7

    ReplyDelete