Monday, October 24, 2011

Time for Writing Reflection

Surprising to myself I enjoyed writing this rhetorical analysis paper. The speech that I choose was  "Women's Rights are Human Rights" by Hillary Clinton and it discussed the injustices of women throughout the world. I thoroughly enjoyed reading the speech because it motivated me to desire change in the world concerning the cruel way women are treated. It was such a structured assignment and because it was so structured, it was easier to organize my thoughts and write them in my paper. I loved how we were given the essay outline because I just followed exactly what it instructed. It was difficult at first to get started but as soon as I began my body paragraphs it seemed to flow. The hardest part of the essay for me was writing the thesis. It was difficult to explain all of the ideas that I had for my paper in a logical statement.   I am really grateful that we were allowed to have our instructor conferences. At my conference, we figured out how to better state my thesis in order to coherently include everything. The conference was also effective in that it helped me continue on in editing and organizing my paper. If allowed I would like to have a short conference before I turn any other papers so that I can correctly check my thesis and any other major errors. From this assignment I have noticed that in everyday speech people tend to use rhetorical devices in order to persuade others. However, they consciously do not know which tools they are using or even that that they are using them. I have even caught myself using certain devices while talking to my friends. Even thought this assignment was difficult, overall, I feel that it was beneficial to me as a writer and a student.
           

1 comment:

  1. It's so crazy how often people use rhetorical devices and don't even know it! Good point!

    ReplyDelete