Thursday, October 27, 2011

Magazines' Effect on the Body-Image of Adolescent Girls

Starting around the 7th grade, I began to have a health problems. I starting fainting sporadically, having feelings of overwhelming nausea,  and feeling extremely lethargic on a daily basis. My mom began taking me to many different doctors, but not until this last summer were the doctors able to figure out anything. They found out that I had a mild form of hypoglycemia and that my thyroid was hypo active. With both of these combined, they found that my body reacted strangely to sugars, carbohydrates, fats, and other various factors. As a result, I consulted often with a nutritionist who trained me in the science of nutrition and exercise. As strange as if may sound, I am grateful for my health problems because through it I was able to discover one of my biggest passions in life, which is the effect of diet and exercise on the human body. Also, through my training I became extremely interested in body image and eating disorders So when my class was asked to write down our three biggest passions in life and then choose one to write an issues paper about, I choose to write about how viewing magazines negatively effects adolescent girls self-image, their drive to be thin, and as a result, their overall health.

To start this assignment, I began researching in the library with our class. From the articles I read there, I have learned that adolescent girls are the most vulnerable to negative practices and ideas than males or any other female of a different age. They are pressured to meet unrealistic and unattainable "perfect body" goals seen in magazines. Some of these negative "practices" and "ideas" include adolescent girls' drive to be thin, their desire for social acceptance, body dissatisfaction, body image distortion, and unhealthy practices/habits such as excessive exercising and dieting, the usage of laxatives, and extreme eating disorders.

As I continue on in my research I am excited to be able to learn more. I may not be as excited to write the actual paper but I am happy to be informing others of what I know!

No comments:

Post a Comment